Manager, Student Wellness
Huron University is completely unique to post-secondary institutions in Canada. With the aim to redefine Liberal Arts education, Huron is creating a university experience unlike any other that prioritizes ethical leadership and community engagement, as much as the pursuit of academic achievement.
As the founding institution of Western University, since 1863, Huron has remained strategically small to best serve the needs of its students. We provide an elite, yet accessible, education, because every student with the passion and work ethic to positively change our world deserves to access the knowledge to understand it and the skills to shape it. Huron’s mission is to develop Leaders with Heart from all backgrounds and foster a vibrant and inclusive community and prepare students to be engaged citizens who transform the sectors they work within. Our commitment to providing the best-possible Liberal Arts education means students have many unique opportunities to enrich their learning experiences.
Reporting to the Associate Vice Principal, Students the Manager, Student Wellness is responsible for the development, coordination, delivery and evaluation of a range of educational Wellness programs and initiatives that proactively address student wellness needs at Huron. These may take the form of individual or group programs and initiatives, focused on an overall healthy campus community, and achieved by utilizing existing training programs, frameworks and resources available to the public or through the development of Huron specific programs rooted in best practice.
The Manager, Student Wellness will work with campus resources (students, HUCSC, faculty and university administration) and broader community partners, to design and deliver wellness training and education for students and will also support training and education for faculty and staff to support students in crisis in the moment.
In addition, the Manager, Student Wellness will meet directly with students for one-on-one sessions to assess student psychological and emotional development, and provide brief therapeutic intervention until appropriate longer-term care may be arranged. The Manager, Student Wellness will provide day-to-day, as well as clinical supervision to the Wellness Coordinator.
- Masters degree in Social Work, Counselling, or other related discipline;
- Three (3) to five (5) year of relevant experience providing mental health counselling and supports to University students;
- Current registration with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers, or College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario;
- Additional training or certification in ASIST, Mental Health First Aid and/or Conflict Resolution would be considered an asset.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation related to Mental Health and Health Care;
- Experience in program development and evaluation;
- In depth knowledge of community resources to ensure students have access to, and knowledge of, all well-being supports and services available both on and off campus.
- Proven ability to maintain discretion, confidentiality, and sensitivity when dealing with difficult situations;
- Excellent time management skills and a demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines in a fast paced environment;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills;
- Well-honed and developed interpersonal skills to represent Huron professionally;
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively and use good judgement in all decisions;
- An open, inviting and approachable personality that allows the opportunity to build meaningful, trusting relationships;
- A strong willingness to participate fully in a team environment;
- Ability to work with diverse communities with respect, sensitivity, creativity, innovation, and cultural understanding;
- Maintain a non-judgemental approach when dealing with difficult or conflicting situations.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application by February 1, 2019 at 11:59pm. Letters of application and a current resume, including three references should be submitted in confidence to Justin Henry, Director of Human Resources:
Mail: Huron University, 1349 Western Road, London, ON, N6G 1H3 Fax: 519.438.4309 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Huron University values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment and educational environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given hiring priority. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact Huron by phone at 519.438.7224 or at the email address above.