What can I borrow and access online?
- Alumni are permitted to borrow regular loan materials. Short-term loan items are not available as they are reserved specifically to support the University’s teaching or research.
- Alumni are not permitted extended loans, recall items on loan or use of the Interlibrary Loan Services.
- On-campus access to most online resources and the Internet with temporary guest access is available at the library service desk.
What do I need to borrow library materials?
- In order to borrow materials, either a recent Western ONECard or a Western alumni card is necessary. If you have either of these cards, simply present it (plus one other piece of photo ID) to staff at Huron Library service desk Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. and staff will set up an account immediately. If your alumni card has already been activated at a library, you may check out books anytime the library is open. Your alumni library account will have to be renewed annually by a library staff member.
- To order an alumni card, please visit the Western Alumni website.
- On-campus access to most online resources and the Internet is available to alumni by presenting photo ID at the Huron Library service desk to obtain a temporary username/password.
Where can I borrow and return items?
- You may borrow materials from the Huron Library, any of the Western Libraries and also from the libraries at Brescia, King's and St. Peter's Seminary.
- Your valid Western ONECard or Alumni card may be used at the service desk of each library and at self checkout machines where available.
- Regular loan and recalled items may be returned to Huron Library or any of the Western Libraries, Affiliated University College libraries and St. Peter's Seminary.
- Library material should be returned as soon as it is no longer needed so that it is available for use by others.
How long can I keep library materials?
- Alumni are permitted to borrow regular loan materials for 14 days.
- Any item you have borrowed may be recalled from you. You are assured of at least seven days use of the requested item before it must be returned. Recalled material must be returned by the date specified on the recall notice.
Can I renew items?
You may renew borrowed items online through My Library Account, or in person at any Service Desk. Materials that are out on loan may be renewed up to three times on or before the due date. Items cannot be renewed if they have been recalled or are on hold for another patron, or if your account has been suspended because of overdue items or fines.
Individuals who are engaged in legitimate research or instructional, professional, or administrative activities and must have access to specialized collections for professional or job-related purposes on a short term basis are eligible to apply. Please fill out this application form and return it to the Huron University College Library Circulation Desk.